1853 Strathmartine

Announcement Date: 20th August 1853

Foundations stone laid for the Baldovan Orphanage and Asylum. H.M Queen Victoria and H.R.H Prince Albert become patrons of the institution.

 

7th July, 1853. Laying of the Foundation Stone of the Orphanage and Asylum for Imbecile Children, July 7th at a ceremony organised and presided over by the Dundee branch of the Grand Lodge of Scotland and following the Freemasons rites. [Note that the inscription on the Foundation Stone refers only to the Asylum and not the Orphanage] The Foundation Stone of this Building, erected by
Sir John and Lady Jane Ogilvy,
As an Asylum for the Treatment of Defective Children
was laid on the 7th day of July, 1853, by
The Grand Lodge of Scotland;
John Whyte Melville Esq., of Bennochy, Deputy Grand Master Mason,
Officiating,
Assisted by all the Lodges in Dundee,
Architects – Messers. Coe and Goodwin, London
Builders – Charles and Alexander Cunningham, of this parish.