Archive image of the month – February

Administration Block (Main Building) and Walled Garden

2 Administration Block, Main Building

Courtesy of University of Dundee Archive Services

This photograph is of the Administration Block (now known as the Main Building). It was taken in the 1980s from the gardens in front of the building. This is one of only a few photographs of the Main Building when it was open. It was donated by Lynda Murdach in 2015 during the project and deposited with Dundee University Archive Services where people can go and see it.

The Administration Block was the first building to be created on the Balmydown Farm site, across the road from the original Baldovan Institution building. The foundation stone was laid in 1900 and it opened on the 18th October 1901. The Dining and Recreation Halls, School, Laundry and cottages were built at the same time. Three new pavilions were built between 1902 and 1905. A corridor was later added to join the pavilions with the Administration Block and by the 1960s the pavilions became known as the Main Building.